You only need 8 real food ingredients to make these healthy gluten free lemon bars! These little bites of heaven are also grain free, paleo, and lower in calories.
It’s Here! Gluten Free Lemon Bars
A healthy lemon bar recipe has been a long time request from many Fit Foodie Finds readers. To be honest, I had NO IDEA how to make lemon bars so we set off to do some hardcore research and testing. One of the best parts about testing recipes, in general, is that even if it doesn’t work out, chances are it still tastes good. This means WE HAD LEMON BARS FOR DAYS.
Did you know that you can make a delicious tasting lemon bar recipe without any grains, gluten, refined sugar, or butter? HUZZAH. The base is very simple, made with 8 total (+ whole) ingredients. Here’s what you need:
- ground almond flour
- coconut oil
- lemon juice
- coconut flour
I absolutely love this gluten free crust recipe. It’s very similar to the crust we used for our gluten free fruit pizza, simple and naturally sweetened! Make sure that you use superfine ground almond flour for this so that it is not gritty. Almond flour is so great for gluten free baking because it’s actually just ground almonds…nothing else!
To get started, mix all of the ingredients for the crust together in a large bowl. Then, for a large ball of dough and spread it evenly on the bottom of your pan, making sure that it’s the same thickness around the entire thing so that it bakes evenly. Bake crust for about 10 minutes at 350ºF
While the crust is baking, you can start to prepare the lemon filling…the best part, in my opinion! Like the crust, the lemon filling is 100% gluten free. You’ll need eggs, lemon juice, honey, and coconut flour. The coconut flour is what thickens things up a bit, but the nice thing is, you don’t need to use that much of it!
Whisk all ingredients together in a large bowl. It shouldn’t be super thick because the thickening of the filling will happen in the oven. When the crust is done baking, pour the filling on top and bake for another 18-20 minutes.
Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes before removing from the pan. Then, let chill for at least 2 hours to let further set in the fridge before slicing.
More Gluten Free Desserts
Healthy Gluten Free Lemon Bars
You only need 8 real food ingredients to make these healthy gluten free lemon bars! These little bites of heaven are also grain free, paleo, and lower in calories!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
For the Crust
- 1.5 cups super fine almond flour
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
For the Filling
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup honey
- 4 teaspoons coconut flour
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and line an 8-inch x 8-inch cake pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Prepare the crust by mixing together all ingredients, forming a ball. Transfer dough into pan and use your hands and/or a spatula to spread to the edges of the pan. The key is to make sure the crust is relatively the same thickness all around, so the spatula comes in handy especially for the edges.
- Bake crust for 10 minutes at 350ºF.
- While the crust is baking, prepare filling. Whisk 4 eggs in a medium-size bowl and then add the rest of the ingredients. Whisk again until there are no more coconut flour chunks.
- Once crust has baked for 10 minutes, remove from oven and pour on filling. Place back in oven and bake for an additional 18-20 minutes.*
- Remove from oven and let sit on the stove top for 10 minutes before transferring into the fridge. Chill for 2 hours before slicing.
- Slice into 16 squares and serve with a sprinkle of organic powdered sugar.
- The bake time for the filling depends on your oven. Keep a close eye on it! If it cracks in the center, don’t worry about it 🙂
- Serving Size: 1/16
- Calories: 240
- Sugar: 20
- Fat: 8
- Carbohydrates: 24
- Fiber: 2
- Protein: 7